I’ve got a DELICIOUS dessert recipe to share with you today that also happens to be really good for your health!! How’s that for a win-win?
These brownies are a huge hit at my house and they always disappear within a day or two. We like to keep them chilled in the fridge – there’s something about cool, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate that really hits the spot on a warm, sunny day.
Don’t be turned off by the secret ingredient in this recipe: avocados. I promise, you cannot taste the avocado at all and it makes the brownies so smooth and creamy! Plus, avocados have lots of healthy fats that are essential for good health – specifically Omega-3, which boosts your heart health and helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
I sprinkled my batch with walnuts before putting them in the oven, but if you’re not a fan of nuts in your brownies, feel free to omit that step.
Chilled Avocado Brownies
3 large, ripe avocados
1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
1 cup honey
6 oz dark chocolate (I love these bars from Trader Joe’s)
3 TB coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large eggs
2 TB vanilla extract
2 TB coconut flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine sea salt
sprinkling of mini chocolate chips or nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut avocados in half, peel and mash in a bowl with a potato masher until very smooth. (a food processor would also work)
3. Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together on the stove over a double boiler. Make sure the chocolate doesn’t get scorched. (Here’s how to make a double boiler using pots you already have at home!)
4. Transfer avocados to a large bowl and add all other ingredients.
5. Use either a hand mixer or whisk to combine until smooth.
6. Grease a 13″ x 9″ pan with coconut oil (or use parchment paper) and spread batter into the pan.
7. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips or nuts.
8. Bake for 25-28 minutes, depending on your oven and how gooey you want the brownies to be!
Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream and a glass of milk. And don’t feel bad if you eat half the pan in one sitting
like I did. 😉